Thursday, November 11, 2010

Kiss Kiss. Love Love.


I'm skipping the letter 'K'. Kind of. I've been so busy getting things ready for Sprout's first birthday party that blogging has been left in the confetti dust and sprinkle fragments in my kitchen. Just a quick little note that begins with 'K'.

Kiss Kiss

Sprout gives the most adorable, slobbery kisses ever, and the one trick that she performs on a fairly regular basis that makes my heart just leap is blowing kisses. When she does it, it is a wholehearted kiss, sound ("MMMWAH!") included. Absolutely priceless, and so sweet.

L.O.V.E.

Sigh. The big 1 is almost here, and I can already feel the anxiety creeping up the back of my shoulders and spine. It is such a bittersweet occasion. On one hand, I am so incredibly proud of her achievements in her first year. She says so many words now that I have completely lost count, and everything that I say to her, she REALLY tries to repeat back to me. She's a little parrot who tries to copy absolutely everything you do. So cute. She has taken one or two steps here and there, but is still a little chicken when it comes to walking - that's totally fine with me! The fact that she can communicate what she wants the majority of the time makes my life so much easier. Walking will just complicate things! Sprout can wait as long as she wants to walk. And run. And fall into things. And scrape her little knees. Sigh. They get too big too quickly. That's the other side of things.

I am so amazed that in the last two years, I have conceived a child, gone through a pregnancy, and raised a beautiful little girl up through her first year of life. Wow. Where does the time go? Really, I'd like to know! I am so proud of her, but there are moments where I just want to freeze time and stay there a little while longer. The nights where I spoil her just a little bit and let her fall asleep on my shoulder in the rocking chair are extremely selfish. I just love feeling the weight of her sleeping body pressed against my chest; the little rise and fall of her back as she breathes deeply; the little sighs she lets out as she falls into a deep, restful slumber. There is nothing more peaceful and angelic than a sleeping child. And as big as she is, as many words as she can say, as much as she is becoming more toddler than baby, when she is asleep with those long dark lashes fringing on her cheeks, she is my baby girl. She is still one hour old, snoozing gracefully on my chest, smelling so sweet and new. I understand now how parents, especially mothers, have a hard time watching their kids grow up and become adults. How am I possibly going to handle letting her go off to college, or travel the world without me? How in the world will I allow her to get her heart broken for the first time? That overprotectiveness we all absolutely hate our mothers for during those pivotal teenage years? I get it now. You just want to protect them forever, and hang onto those sweet childhood and baby moments.

I am treasuring this last week of non-toddler Sprout. Every minute, every second, every hour, every day. She's getting spoiled with lots of snuggles. Once that one year mark passes, it's gone. Bittersweet, like I said. On the up side, her party is going to be spectacular! SO many people are coming, it will be a bit of a crazy event, but she is so lucky to have that many people that love her.

Enjoy this week, Sprout. Know that Mommy loves you more than anything in the entire world, and that I am so thankful and blessed to have you in my life. Even when I tell you to stay out of the dog water dish, I still love you. Remember that.

xoxoxo
Mommy

2 comments:

  1. Tears are in my eyes!

    Before we know it our girls will be hiding their diaries on us and sneaking to the movies with boys, then sneaking their first "drink" and running off to parties. Then possibly (if we dont chain them to the stair banister) moving away to college and finding the love of their life. Before we know it they will be coming home with a HUGE diamond on their hand and squealing in delight.

    Daughters are so precious and I now know how are they are to raise. (and mine is only 3 months old!)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so know the sitting in the rocking chair just that much longer while your baby snuggles into your neck and falls to sleep. It's one of the most precious moments of our day.

    Beautiful post! Enjoy this week. xoxo

    E

    ReplyDelete