Friday, September 10, 2010

Frankie? Really?


Oh, the letter 'F'. It could stand for so many things. It reminds me of that commercial they had on a few years back about the Knorr frozen dinners, where they bleeped out the word "frozen" and made it sound like...well...something else. Hilarious. Had me in stitches every single time. The title of this blog refers to the comment my loving husband made when we were talking about girl names back in my giant prego days. I have always LOVED the name Frankie for a girl, but we both decided against it. There weren't any longer names that would shorten to Frankie that either of us really liked. Francesca, Francis, Francine. Nope. None of them seemed right, so we just left Frankie by the wayside. 'F' could stand for fun, facetiousness, fancy, farting (not me, the dog...changed her food lately and she has such bad gas that she lets 'er rip constantly...and audibly..*gag*), flirting, etc. I could go on and on. Today, though, the letter 'F' is for something a little more...friendly...

'F' is for Family

Where would I be without my family? Probably stuck under a rock somewhere with my arms and legs flailing. But seriously now, family is one of the most important things to me, and it is incredible how much more important your own little family unit becomes when you bring a child into the mix. Before Sprout, it was difficult to think of my husband and I as our own family. Family was supposed to be about having everyone together, eating good food (mmm...apple salad...secret family recipe to follow), having good conversation, and watching the kids all run and play (or being a kid and going to play). Now that I have grown up - a little - and started my own family, things sure have changed. Not that my extended family members aren't important, it's just...my husband and Sprout are MY family - the one that will grow outwards from us, now. Strange to think of.

I remember being a little girl and playing with my cousins, never once wondering what life would bring us, or whether we would remain close as adults. Time shifts everything, even family. As we age, we become closer with some and more distant with others. Those large family get-togethers become fewer and farther between, and when they do happen, not everyone is there. We get married (or not), have kids (or not), and eventually become our own family units. Going for Christmas dinner at Grandma's house becomes going for Christmas dinner at my mom's house...who is Sprout's Grandma...weird. The shift is eventual and gradual, and will definitely take some time to get used to, but it is a welcome change. The memories and family bond that I created as a child will become Sprout's with our 'new' family and the changing way our holidays/birthdays/etc. are celebrated.

It makes me feel sadly nostalgic to think about those Christmas Eves spent playing with all of my cousins at my Grandma's house. The smell of turkey, ham, gravy, and sweet potatoes permeating the air. Grandpa whistling carols at the dining room table. Presents piled halfway across the living room because they just didn't fit underneath the tree - well, that one is usually still true on Christmas Day at my mom's house. We have a tendency (as a family) to go overboard. An actual fire roaring in the fireplace. Snowball fights in the back yard. As much as I miss all of it myself, I am so excited to watch Sprout grow and create lasting memories for herself with our 'new' family. She'll have a much smaller one, less cousins, and possibly more chaos with the traveling we have to do to Southern Alberta to visit the in-laws, but it will be what she knows. I think it's always going to be hard, knowing that I had SO many cousins to play with growing up, and that there were waaaaaay too many aunts and uncles crammed into my Grandma's house. Sprout isn't going to have quite the same experience, but I seem to forget that those are MY memories, not hers, and she will grow up (hopefully) to feel the same nostalgic feelings about her own childhood when she has children of her own.

I've never understood those that don't make their family a priority. Family is what you make of it. To be able to look back on your life and say that you were surrounded by loving family & friends is enough of an accomplishment for a single lifetime, don't you think? We all overwork ourselves, strive for more money, less problems, more 'things'. I understand that working is a part of everyday life, without which you can't even support a family, but do we really need all that we 'work for'? Will those 'things' really be worth the time and effort put into them by the end of your life? Think about it sometime. I challenge you to take some time this next month and devote it to your family - extended or otherwise. If you don't have family, devote it to your closest friends. Find out what they are in need of, lend a helping hand, be supportive. Be thankful f0r what you have. I know I am. Even when she's whining, miserable, teething, or otherwise, my little Sprout is still a miracle to me. She is my gift from God that I will never do enough in this lifetime to deserve. She is my family. You will always be my priority, my Sprout. Family always is.

xoxoxo
Mommy


Apple Salad
5-6 Medium-sized apples (Macintosh work well, or Golden Delicious)
2 cups Whipping cream
1 tsp Vanilla (not the fake stuff)
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 Tbsp Confectioner's sugar

Prepare the whipping cream: whip with a stand or hand mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add the vanilla, cinnamon, and confectioner's sugar. Continue to whip on medium until desired consistency. Core, peel, and dice apples into small chunks. Fold whipping cream into apples. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon & confectioners sugar. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve (at least 1 hour).

1 comment:

  1. Good post, Cassandra. I really enjoyed reading it. Life can be a funny business, especially when a person notices that their perspective if changing. Just like someday, we'll be the Grandmas! Haha! That's a little scary!

    Krista

    ReplyDelete