Monday, November 21, 2011

If only I could freeze time for a little while...





Looking back over the past few weeks at the blog posts that I wrote at the very beginning - where I started, how far things have come in my life as well as Sprout's - I have been an emotional wreck. First birthdays are so exciting! There are so many amazing new things that your child is doing all the time, and though bittersweet, it is a happy event overall. Second birthdays, however...they seem to come with the realization of how quickly the time really does pass. I feel like I can hardly remember what it felt like to be pregnant that first time; my labour and delivery, the first six months at home with my beautiful baby girl, the first Christmas, first birthday...etc. I flipped through her scrapbook the other day, and I honestly cried. A big, ugly cry. Sobbing, tears, mascara, snot...it wasn't very pretty. On this momentous (and tearful) occasion then, I need to write my little princess her own birthday letter. Because, you know...it's tradition.

My dearest not-so-little, two-year-old Sprout,

What a crazy two years this has been for you! Can you believe that in two short years, you went from being a completely dependent tiny little baby to my big, independent, 'I do it myself', potty-trained beauty?! I can't even remember all of your accomplishments over the past year since your last letter - there have been way too many! All I know is how incredibly proud I am of you and all the leaps and bounds you have made.

Thank you for growing out of that silly super-aggressive phase. You have become such a sweet girl, and even though you don't really enjoy sharing your toys (and you really like to point out that things are 'MINE'), you have been so gentle with your little brother and all of your friends lately that it just makes Mommy's heart sing! I know that you still have your sassy personality - you tell me "I'm sassy, Mommy!" all the time - and I wouldn't trade that for anything, but you have been listening so well to Mommy (and Daddy) lately. It makes me so proud of you.

When I get the chance to just sit quietly on the sidelines and listen to you playing, or watch you singing or dancing with Monster, my heart is so full of pride and joy that I honestly feel like it might just burst. I never knew I would have so much room in my heart to love you and your little brother. You have the most incredible imagination for being two years old, and the craziest vocabulary (I just got told that your favourite word this morning was 'carnelian' - thanks, Gramma...), and you are learning all kinds of new things that you show me and tell me about every day.

You are the most beautiful little girl, and you and your brother make my days full of sunshine and happiness. I love nothing more than hanging out with the two of you day after day, reading books, playing games, learning, doing crafts, making meals (and treats - I know how much you love to bake with Mommy!) I wouldn't change a single thing about my life with you, and I hope that you know and understand to the fullest of your abilities how much you mean to me, and how much I love you.

I can't wait to see what the next year is going to bring. You are an amazing big sister to Seedling already, and I know that the older the both of you get, the more you will be able to play and interact. I am already so excited for next summer, even though the s-n-o-w has taken over our lives for another winter season. I couldn't imagine a more perfect daughter, Sprout. You are the child that I dreamt about for years before you finally came into my life. I love you more than I could ever express to you, and I just want to say a great big thank-you for being exactly who you are. You are beautiful, smart, funny, outgoing, witty, shy at the cutest moments, talented, and just all-around perfect. (How big is your ego going to be when you hit school if I keep this up? Oh, boy...) Thank you (and you too, Seedling) for having a great nap today so Mommy could write this letter for you to read when you get big enough. At the rate you're going, you'll probably be reading before you're three! I love you. Happy second birthday, my beautiful little Sprout.

xoxoxo
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment