Tuesday, November 8, 2011

What the xylophone is a yellow zebra?


I'm absolutely cheating on the last four letters of my crazy long alphabet blog. Why? Because, as of next week, my little Sprout will be TWO years old, and my growing Seedling will be SIX months old!! I can't believe how much has changed, and how the time has flown. So I'm cheating. Don't hold it against me, okay?

W is for Wowzers. And the rest just follows suit.

Everyone I know told me that the first six months after Seedling was born would be the most difficult. It would be a rough adjustment for everyone in the family, and I would probably hate being a mother until it was over. I laughed it off every time someone told me the same thing, usually saying something along the lines of "Oh...you know, I'm sure it will be awesome. I had such an easy time adjusting after Sprout was born, and I love being a mom. I don't think anything will really change much, we'll just have another tiny mouth to feed!" Oh, boy...was I ever wrong.

If you've been following along, you know all the issues we've had in the last year: pregnancy complications, sick baby, aggressive toddler, postpartum depression, etc, etc. I used to think that if I would have known how much life was going to change, I would never have had my kids so close together. Now that almost six months has passed, I can honestly say I wouldn't change a thing.

The 'wowzers' is basically attributed to the fact that I can't believe how hard I hit rock bottom, and how quickly things have turned around. To an outsider, maybe six months is a long haul, but to me it feels like minutes, and my terrible pregnancy feels like it lasted for seconds. Factor in Seedling's under-2-minute delivery, and you can imagine how split-second THAT one feels. I can hardly remember the last half of this year!

Coming up on the half-birthday for Seedling and the second birthday for my sweet little Sprout, I have been feeling super emotional. This has been the most difficult, most rewarding, happiest, saddest, rollercoaster ride...I couldn't have even surmised where I would be today three years ago when I got pregnant for the first time, and subsequently miscarried. Since then, life has turned upside down and inside out, and I am definitely feeling overwhelmed looking back. Those who were at Sprout's birthday last year know that not only did I not cry, I actually announced my being pregnant with Seedling to family and friends at her party. It was a joyous and momentous occasion, despite morning sickness and a crazy cold that attacked our family the week of her birthday.

Here we are again. I'm gathering the last-minute things for Sprout's party this week. We're going a bit more low-key, less people, less chaos. She's already in the attitude of 'two going on twelve', so I don't want to stir the pot by having it be way too much craziness the day of her party. I will be blogging next week (birthday letters for both of my lovies) about the party, etc, so I won't go into it too much now, other than to say...man, I'm a sap right now. I can barely even handle typing this without starting the waterworks flowing.

When I look at how much Sprout & Seedling love each other, my heart just melts. No matter what I went through, no matter what either of them went through, one glance at the two of them goofing around and listening to the resulting peals of laughter from both is enough to remind me that God certainly has a way with timing. The unconditional love of a child for his or her parents is one thing to behold - it is an amazing feeling to have them snuggle into you and know that you are the one who makes them feel safe and adored - but to watch the love blossom and grow between two siblings is a spectacle all on its own. Sure, they still drive me crazy sometimes (although, after saying "You know, you make me crazy!" to Sprout this week, she retorted with "You make me mental, Mommy!"), but on the whole, most of our days are spent happily interacting together.

Okay, end of the alphabet. Done. Hooray! I totally cheated, but I feel okay about it. If anyone wants to complain, find a suitable topic for me to write about that starts with the letter 'x'. All I really wanted to say today is how much better things have gotten, and how astounded I am with my children. I love them more than I can ever express, and now that I'm feeling less crazy, I definitely love being a mom yet again, which I definitely couldn't imagine six months ago.

I can't wait to celebrate both of your milestones with you this next week, my beautiful Seedling & Sprout!! Thank you so much for all your love, and for napping at the same time today so that Mommy could have some much-needed time to blog! Sweet dreams, my prince & princess.

xoxoxo
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment