Monday, November 14, 2011

Seedling.





As promised, here is one of two blog postings this week. Today marks my little Seedling's six month milestone, or half-birthday, if you will. Much like I did for my beautiful Sprout, here is a little letter to my handsome tiny man:

To my dearest Seedling on your half-birthday,

This has been an extremely emotional rollercoaster ride, and I don't imagine it is going to get any less crazy anytime soon. That being said, I wouldn't have it any other way. Through all of your ups and downs (and mine...I haven't forgotten yet...) in these first tumultuous months, you have grown into the most incredible, beautiful, happy - yes, HAPPY - little boy!

I am so proud of how much we have overcome together over the past half-year: keeping you safe in my tummy until your still-early arrival, insanely fast labour and delivery (thank you!), hypoglycemia in the hospital, jaundice, projectile vomiting...out your nose...with blood in it, GERD (acid reflux), choking and hospital visits, laryngomalacia, different meds, lots of doctor visits, breastfeeding, formula feeding, colic, 18 hour days of non-stop screaming, sleepless nights (and days)...the list could really go on and on. I don't want to talk about the things that made this journey difficult anymore. I am letting them go. We both had a rough transition after your arrival, but things are much different now, and I have been focused on the future now more than ever.

You have accomplished so much, and can do so many amazing things. You can sit on your own for a few minutes at a time already (stop trying to constantly eat your toes, and it might help with the 'folding in half and not being able to get up' issue), you have incredibly strong legs - and always want to jump and stand, you can roll over from your back to your tummy (and back again), you can drink out of a sippy cup on your own, eat a Mum-Mum cracker by yourself, you have tried (and loved) so many new foods that I have lost count, you can play 'peekaboo' with your sister (and parents too) with a stuffed animal or blankie, and my personal favourite: you have learned to blow raspberries. Like you really needed another way to get drool out of your mouth in a more efficient manner. (Seriously. I'm running out of bibs.)

The best thing that has happened though? You are a happy baby! Finally! You are always smiling and laughing at the tiniest things, and it seems to take absolutely nothing to get a grin out of you, or one of your adorable giggles. I am so glad that you are growing out of the things that made you such a miserable little mite for the first 3-4 months, and that everyone around you is now able to enjoy how wonderful you are, and really fall in love with you.

It took Mommy a long time, Seedling, to feel that connection or bond between the two of us. I assume it probably felt the same way for you - I was your Mommy, but I wasn't very present at the beginning. It all feels like it was a blur, and I went through it wearing fogged glasses. I couldn't be happier now, and I cannot wait to see what the next six months brings, and watch you continue to grow and develop into the cute little monster I already see coming forth! I love you wholeheartedly, and it makes me so happy to be able to say that to you. You and your sister are my world, tiny Seedling. Every day, every minute, every second. None of it goes by without me thinking about you and how much I love being your Mommy. I am so proud of the beautiful little boy you have become, and how much joy you bring into everyone's life and hearts.

Your little ears must have been burning, because I can hear you babbling up in your crib, chewing on what sounds like your soother or your hands. I am coming to pick you up now, and will hold you in my arms for a few extra minutes today (I know you're already spoiled with too many snuggles, but I just can't help myself!). Thanks for giving me time to write this on the actual day. I love you, Seedling.

xoxoxo
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment