Wednesday, April 7, 2010

All I want are some Punkys, Willy Wonka...
















I've had a lot of moments lately where I've felt very nostalgic, specifically in reference to moments from my childhood. I find myself gazing at Sprout, and thinking about all the wonderful (and awful) things that growing up has to offer. Of course, it will be very different for her than it was for me. The world is a crazier place now than it ever was...or maybe it's just that we're more aware of it. Because I am a big fan of lists, I thought I would share some of the things that I miss the most about being a kid, in the hopes that my daughter might one day share some of my interests. Don't worry about the length though. This is going to be a series of blogs on the same topic. I have too much to write, and not enough time before bed.

1. Candy.
I ate a lot of candy when I was a kid, and it didn't seem to go anywhere but to my head (invariably followed by major sugar crashes). Some of my favourite memories involve candy/treats. I had a crazy and wonderful uncle who told us some insane stories when we were little, one of which involved a villain - Gargaganga - and a hero - Mr. Gargle - both of whom lived in and amongst my grandmother's basement**. The second step from the top of the basement staircase was a no-tread zone, due to the fact that any pressure whatsoever would trigger a trap door that would slide you deep down into Gargaganga's lair. We didn't know what would befall us if we ever became captives in said lair, but we weren't willing to take any chances. Mr. Gargle, on the other hand, could be hailed from Candyland via the hall linen closet by calling "Oh Mister Mister Gargle!", but only (strangely enough) when our Uncle M. was taking a nap in the spare bedroom. We later discovered that the spare room closet connected through to the hall closet, leaving enough space for a mysterious hand to poke through and feed us rainbow Chips Ahoy cookies ("Don't touch the livestock, Kevin! Heeheehee...oops!" Loved that commercial.). I tell people this story, and they look at me like I'm nuts, but we loved it. Uncle M. is the reason I am as creative as I am. Who else would have told me about the People in the Pipes, and that the Lost City of Atlantis was at the bottom of Dilberry Lake (a story which prompted me to wear a lifejacket whilst swimming in the drop-off until I was 10)?

**Side note: After my parents were divorced, we lived with my Grandma and Grandpa in their basement (converted into a suite) until I was 10. It was awesome - some of my best memories are from that house.

Okay, enough sidetracking. Umm....right, candy. When my sister and I were old enough to ride our bikes unattended, we rode around all over St. A. In particular, we rode the two blocks over to the Red Rooster convenience store on the corner of Hebert Road across from the old Safeway. The family that owned it always knew who we were, and said hello with watchful eyes that made us feel completely safe. That's one of the other things I miss...feeling like nothing could ever happen to me to rattle my world hard enough that I wouldn't recover. The worst thing that can happen to a 6 or 7 year-old little girl, in her mind, is being teased by a boy, or fighting with her sister and getting grounded. Or so it was with my own mind at that age. My favourite things to buy from Red Rooster were:

1. 25 cent sour soothers (the BIG ones)
2. Penny sours (literally a penny each)
3. Nik-l-nips (those wax bottles with sugary liquid inside) - we used to chew the wax afterwards like a piece of gum.
4. Chocolate & bubble gum cigarettes - I loved putting a "cigarette" in my mouth and blowing out. All the candy powder from the outside coating of both the bubble gum and chocolate would puff out around the end of the treat, enhancing its appeal.
5. Lotsa Fizz - these were/are the ones that came in a giant rope, and had the sour fizzy powder at the centre of the little hard candy.
6. Tangy Taffy - still love it! Cherry with cherry red sprinkles. Mmmm.
7. Slurpees with soft serve on top - in Lethbridge, we called them Snow Bobs, but when we were growing up, they didn't have a name. They were just amazing. Yum. Dr. Pepper, in fact, was and still is my favourite. Though the original store is no longer at that location, the second Red Rooster (became Reder) is still going strong and still serves those wondrous treats.
8. Nerds. Who doesn't love Nerds?
9. Chalk candy. And yes, I actually like chalk candy. It wasn't just because it was really cool to eat it.
10. Bonkers (chewy, Starburst-esque squares with darker coloured centres - see photo)
11. Sodalicious fruit snacks ("Feeling flat?" Another much loved commercial.)
12. PUNKYS!!!!!!! (See photo) - Anyone who remembers these gets a bonus point today for reading my blog. Punkys were a Wonka candy (like Nerds, etc) that came out in the 80's/90's. So cool. The boxes had pictures of little punk oval characters with sunglasses and cool day-glo-coloured mohawks. They were freaking awesome.


I could go on and on and on. The point is, I wish I could eat as much candy without consequence as I did when I was a kid. Just thinking about that bike ride to the store gives me that weird, pit-of-your-stomach tightening nostalgia. I'm not going to stuff Sprout full of treats, but I will allow her to create some of the food-memories that I hold so dearly. I will, as the cliche states, let her be a kid. I will be dreaming of sweet snacks while I slumber tonight, Sprout. What will you dream of?

xoxoxo
Mommy

2 comments:

  1. Punkys! Sigh, how I miss thee. They had a miraculous power to give just the right boost of energy while on long hikes if I recall... Those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's petition to bring punkys back.

    ReplyDelete