Monday, April 19, 2010

Wow, I have a super short attention span. As much as I'd love to keep writing about things that I loved as a child, and my hopes and dreams for some of those same things for Sprout, I am getting reeeeeally bored of writing about it and thinking of new ideas. Hmmm. But maybe one more.

The weather keeps getting nicer and nicer, but I'm sure that my wishes for an early and long summer will be wiped out by a late winter storm. Happens every year, I swear, although this year we are actually getting some sort of spring season which is strange for Alberta. I'm sitting on my deck in a lawn chair in a pair of board shorts and a tank top, typing away with my $10 sunglasses on, and I'm actually getting HOT. So here's a flashback I had.

3. Having Summer OFF.

Boy, do I miss having two months to just sit around in the sun, rollerblade to get slurpees, play in the sand, go to the lake, and run through the sprinkler or slip n' slide. I am not a winter person. That may be the biggest understatement I've ever made. I don't think I was born in the right country, let alone the right province or city. My whole body literally shudders when I picture the snow and blustery -35 C (with or without the windchill) weather that we get subjected to every year. Global warming my ass. I'll admit, there have been some odd changes in our weather patterns, and this year was especially mild (so far), but even still...I could live somewhere that didn't really have winter. Not like the ones we have here, at least. It was +14 C the day I had Sprout in mid-November, which was incredibly strange. I think the whole world is just happy that she's around, so we're getting a break with the weather for her first year. That way, she can actually have at least one summer like the ones I remember growing up.

Maybe it's just me, but I remember it being hot and sunny most of the summer. I always ended up tanned dark enough to switch races (not anymore, I wear SPF 30 on my face every day - even in winter - and on my body most summer days...I don't want to be a wrinkled old raisin). I get that weird nostalgic feeling at the beginning of every summer when school lets out and there are dozens of kids running around the parks and riding their bikes down the sidewalks. Am I the only one who gets those strange, pit-of-the-stomach-tightening feelings? They remind me to slow down and take life in.

I am so excited for this summer with Sprout. We already had a "deck day" where I fed her the first outdoor bottle of her life, and we took some silly pictures with her new hat and sunglasses on. I can't wait to watch her discover the incredible world that lies just beyond her reach right now. There were other moms that were adamant that it was much better to have a baby in the spring or summer as opposed to the winter, so that you didn't have to go through a hot summer whilst pregnant. I completely feel the opposite. I loved being pregnant in the summer! I hit my second trimester in June, and it was awesome! I had energy, didn't feel sick (didn't really feel sick before that, but...), and I could wear whatever I wanted without worrying about how I looked - I was ballooning! When Sprout was born, people warned me about the increased risk of post-partum depression because of the winter season and lack of vitamin D. I don't think it would have been any better if she was born in the spring or summer. I didn't really want to venture out much for the first 2 months anyways, and after that, it wasn't a big deal to bundle up a little tiny one and take her out. And now...well, we've already changed out her car seat for a bigger one, which would have been a worse adjustment in the winter - having to carry her out all bundled up - and she's getting to the age where she's fascinated by everything, which is so awesome! We have so much fun being outside. I can show her the grass, the trees, the sun, the clouds, the sky. And she'll learn to crawl (hopefully) this summer, so I can spend less time chasing her inside the house, and more time letting her boogie around on a blanket in the park. I really can't imagine it being better the other way around - we'd be stuck in the house all winter - ew!

Speaking of Sprout, though, I'm being beckoned, and we're due for a "deck bottle". Ahhh....sunshine is amazing.

Get your shades on, baby.

xoxoxo
Mommy


No comments:

Post a Comment